Acne is something that is common, but increasingly annoying. For those who often get breakouts of acne know how stressful this can be. When one pimple goes away, another may come, and the marks that stay are also stressed.
<a href="https://keevaorganics.com/blogs/the-keeva-buzz/does-stress-cause-acne" target="_blank" rel="noopener"><img class="aligncenter" src="https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1096/2552/files/does_stress_cause_acne.jpg?v=1529525942" alt="Does Stress Cause Acne [Infographic] | Keeva Organics" /></a>
Therefore it is important to know the causes of acne and ways to reduce this. This article aims to look at whether stress has an impact on causing acne.
Stress is something that some people cannot control. Imagine it is the final week before your exam, you are exhausted and stressed out. Do you notice your complexion is also stressing out with you, causing more pimples or even acne cysts? This might not only be your imagination.
For those who already experience acne and they get into a situation that is stressful, this may seem to be the time that your acne is flaring up. Therefore emotional stress may not start a fresh case of acne. Nevertheless, it may further worsen matters in people who already experience acne.
Is there a link present between stress and acne?
This is a question you may be asking yourself. Within the past decade, research claims to have suggested that these doctors may be on the correct track.
Although it has been claimed that scientists still are not sure exactly how stress worsens acne. It is known that cells which produce sebum possess receptors for stress hormones.
If you did not know, sebum is that oily substance which mixes with one’s dead skin cells along with bacteria to clog the hair follicles, causing a pimple or even acne cyst.
At the time that an individual who has acne experiences much stress, sebum-producing cells somehow get upregulated, it has been claimed. Therefore more oil is formed to clog one's hair follicles to let more acne to form. This is only a clue. The actual mechanism claims to remain still elusive.
It has also been claimed that scientists hypothesized that stress levels characterized as higher stimulated one's adrenal glands. At the time that one is stressed their body responds in a way that results in it pumping out hormones, moreover the overproduction of androgens may stimulate one's oil glands.
At the time that these glands produce high levels of oil, this precise excess substance may combine with one’s dead cells, debris, along with P. acne bacteria, therefore clogging up the pore that may lead to an acne blemish.
Stress may also impact other areas of our health, moreover may lead to weight increase or even loss, blood pressure alterations, moreover other maladies which may lead to tough health issues along with worsened acne symptoms.
Stress eating’s impact on one’s the skin
At the time when one is stressed they may look for comfort foods. This may be one of the other acne causes. You may have heard that chocolate, as well as fast food, may lead to a breakout, this may not be a complete truth.
Daily eating fast food may not necessarily lead to pimples developing, nevertheless a poor diet may aggravate the blemishes one already has.
Therefore if you are concerned about your skin, it is important that you form smart decisions concerning your diet to improve your overall health as well as combat acne blemishes. You may add the below foods to your diet that may aid your skin is clearing up:
- Try and consume a minimum of five servings precisely of fruits as well as vegetables every day.
- When you have prepared or even touched food that is greasy, remember to try and not touch your face.
- Stay away from foods saturated with iodine, also including seafood as well as seaweed, because this has been claimed to lead to acne flare-ups.
- You should see how your skin handles dairy products. This is because it has been claimed that milk along with dairy intake is connected to the frequency as well as the severity of breakouts.
- Remember to stay hydrated. Avoid drinks that have much sugar.
Are your breakouts causing you to lose sleep?
Stress may impact our bodies in ways that are strange. Moreover, the result of this annoying stress may also make breakouts to be more frequent.
It has been claimed that stress interferes with one's sleep cycle. When we become stressed, it has been said that the neurotransmitters in our brains tend to shut down temporarily.
Moreover one of the first to feel these impacts tends to be our internal body clock. You may have guessed that this may lead to sleeplessness.
People may have told you often, and this will be stressed here as well, getting an adequate amount of rest claims to be important for skin health. Moreover, lack of sleep may lead to bags beneath the eyes; a complexion characterized as being dull, along with acne blemishes.
Therefore it is vital to limit stress so that one may be able to sleep peacefully. This is easier said than done and the one who experiences stress knows how tough it is to reduce it.
When stress lets you harm your skin
Sometimes, it has been claimed that stress along with acne can interact in a cycle that is harmful. When some individuals are anxious or even upset, these people may be more likely to worsen their blemishes.
Some individuals can pick their skin at the time that they are stressed. For those who have a pimple to pick, you know what will happen after this.
Have you heard of Acne Excoriee?
Some individuals may squeeze a pimple only occasionally. Extreme cases may also be present whereby patients are involved in compulsively and annoyingly picking at their blemishes as they may be worried as well as embarrassed concerning their skin.
Every small thing which appears upon their skin, they may pick at this. These people may not be able to stop themselves.
This condition tends to be referred to as acne excoriee. These individuals may possess scabs which may lead to scarring, instead of having many pimples. These people may turn acne that is very mild into terrible scars. To aid in preventing scarring, one should not pick as well as squeeze their pimples.
Why are you stressed?
The modern world gives us much to stress about which may contribute to annoying acne breakouts. Look at the below list that concerns common stressors. You may mentally tick off those that you have gone through:
- Relationship issues
- Work gave at school
- Stress that is concerned with one’s job
- Competitive sports
- Money issues
- Extracurricular activities
- Shifting to a new home
- Annoying tests
- Social anxiety
- Status issues
- Cyber bullying
Some individuals may have experienced some of these stressors. Anyone of the above may lead your body to experience stress-mode. Mostly as a teen or even young adult, those stress-inducing type of interactions as well as environments may be prevalent due to the reason that insecurities may be high moreover situations may be magnified.
It has been suggested that acne treatment for teenagers is something that should be looked for if breakouts tend to become something common to them. A lot of stress may lead to anxiety, depression, along with physical illness, moreover social problems; it may also lead to annoying stress-related acne breakouts.
Some steps that may be taken to limit stress
It is vital to managing stress when looking at overall health. It may also aid in helping one to achieve clear skin. If you can learn how to handle stress, this may make you happier as well as more self-confident.
You may be wondering, so what can be done to prevent those annoying impossible-to-avoid type of situations? You may try and practice stress relief habits regularly.
- Exercise- Regular exercise may provide mental as well as physical benefits. Remember always to wipe down gym equipment that is shared as well as wash your face succeeding a tough workout so as to combat breakouts that are exercise-related. You may also hear people saying that exercise is good for one’s general health. Therefore try and fit exercise into your schedule. Make time for it.
- Meditation- Learning relaxation, as well as breathing techniques, may aid in stimulating the body’s relaxation response. This may leave one calm along with clear headed. Try and practice meditation daily which may aid in limiting stress levels lowering the risk of anxiety as well as depression. You can try meditation and see if it works for you.
- Remain hydrated- Excess stress may lead to dehydration. You may already know this, that all of your body’s organs tend to run on water, therefore when you are dehydrated, the case may arise that your body will not be able to function properly. This may then add to your stress levels. The cycle seems to be a vicious one, therefore try and drink sufficient amounts of water daily. You also need to take out time to do this, especially if you are busy do not forget to drink water.
- Discuss your issue- For those of you who tend to be constantly feeling stressed as well as overwhelmed, you may want to discuss your problems along with feelings. This may be with some counselor, or even your parents, friends, etc., but please do not be afraid to do this and ask for help when you feel you need it.
Some ways to treat acne
An individual cannot employ stress reduction to treat acne. For many individuals, acne tends to be a chronic issue which does not go away quickly.
It may be a long-term issue which needs acne treatment. This treatment may encompass benzoyl peroxide, retinoids, along with antibiotics which are applied to one’s skin or may be taken by mouth.
There are also hormonal treatments. It is better to consult the doctor if you are having problems with your acne so that they can tell you how to proceed. Individuals who have acne may visit a psychologist or may learn biofeedback if they want to limit high amounts of stress overall.
For those who have used over-the-counter acne products for some time and with no success, your doctor may prescribe some stronger medications. It has been claimed that acne medications function by limiting oil formation, speeding up one's skin cell turnover, reducing inflammation or even fighting bacterial infection.
You can talk to your doctor concerning the risks as well as benefits of medications along with other treatments that you may be considering.
Some lifestyle as well as home remedies
You may try to avoid or even control mild acne precisely with the nonprescription type of products, basic skin care characterized as being good along with various other self-care procedures:
- Wash those problem areas with a cleanser that is gentle- Two times in a day, employing your hands you can wash your face utilizing a mild soap along with warm water. For those who tend to form acne around their hairline may shampoo their hair daily.
Remember to be gentle when shaving affected the skin. Try and stay away from certain products like facial scrubs, astringents along with masks. These claim to irritate one's skin; this may worsen acne. Remember that excessive washing along with scrubbing may irritate the skin as well.
- Try out the over-the-counter type of acne products to dry excess oil plus promote peeling- Find products having benzoyl peroxide precisely as the active ingredient. One may also try those products having salicylic acid, glycolic acid or even alpha hydroxy acids,that may aid with mild as well as the moderate type of acne.
A few weeks may pass before one may see any improvement. You should also know that nonprescription type of acne medications may actually lead to initial side effects, like redness, dryness as well as scaling, which usually may improve succeeding the first month of utilizing them.
You may also try and avoid irritants, protect your precious skin from the sun, avoid friction or even pressure upon your skin, stay away from touching or even picking at the issue areas and try and shower after any strenuous activities.