A successful skin care regime for men entails more than washing one’s face and applying sunscreen. Our skin is the largest organ in the human body and serves as our protective shield. So boys, keep your safeguard strong with these 10 tips:
<a href="https://keevaorganics.com/blogs/the-keeva-buzz/10-skin-care-tips-men" target="_blank" rel="noopener"><img class="aligncenter" src="http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1096/2552/files/10_skin_care_tips_men.jpg" alt="10 Skin Care Tips for Men [Infographic] | Keeva Organics" /></a>
- Wear sunscreen. It seems simple, but this step is still often overlooked. “The best thing a man can do for his skin long-term is wear a daily broad-spectrum sunscreen,” said Amanda Osadchuk, owner of One Love Boutique Spa in Scottsdale. “The sun, more than anything else, does the most damage to the skin over time, so wearing an SPF daily is the best way to ensure a lifetime of healthy and youthful skin.”
- Block the sun when possible. Take defensive measures when it comes to the sun’s rays. “The best form of sun protection is to physically block the sun with hats, sunglasses and protective clothing,” Osadchuk said.
- Invest in a quality face wash. This does not mean just soap and water! “Most men use soap to wash their skin, but it leaves the skin flaky and dry,” said Natalya Borakowski, owner of Desert Bloom Skin Care Center in Scottsdale. “Our skin needs to be acidic. Investing in a good face wash can prevent skin problems for men.”
- Use toner. Toner isn’t just for women anymore; find one that is designed for men. “Using a toner on your face will firm up your skin and it can also reduce the size of your pores,” said Purvi Desai, owner and founder of Zaaina Skincare. “Do this every day and your skin will begin to look much healthier.”
- Exfoliate. This extra step can help keep skin healthy. “Spring is all about reviving dull winter skin, so hydration and exfoliation is key. This is the perfect time for a refreshing hydrating facial to revive the skin and get it glowing for summer,” Osadchuk said.
- Get your fix of vitamin C. “A man can use products containing vitamin C,” said Osadchuk. “Vitamin C is a natural anti-oxidant, so it will help reduce free radical activity caused by the sun.”
- Drink water. Be sure to get your eight glasses a day! “The single biggest impact – the more water you drink, the healthier your skin is going to be,” Borakowski said.
- Nourish your skin. Make sure your skin is getting all of the nutrients it needs. “Take time to hydrate and nourish the skin with healing and cooling, anti-inflammatory products,” Osadchuk said. It is very easy for the skin to become dehydrated during summer months, so use a hydrating serum or moisturizer during this time. Desai recommends drinking a mixture of lemon and honey water (either cold or hot) to help hydrate your skin.
- Eat a healthy diet. You are what you eat, right? “Your skin complexion [reflects] what you eat,” Desai said. “A man’s diet is no different than a woman’s when it comes to having healthy-looking skin. Proper hydration, eating more fiber and avoid sugar, alcohol and fatty foods are a must to achieve the best skin.”
- Take care of your skin every single day. Consistency is key when it comes to skincare, so no excuses. “In order to have the best-looking skin, radiating youth, vitality and health, you need to have a proper daily skin care regimen, which must be followed religiously,” Desai said. “Most men seem to have the idea that skincare is only for women. [On the contrary,] it is important that men take good care of their skin as much as women, if not more. Skincare is not for the cosmetic purpose, but for all-purpose health.”