The tea tree has become quite popular for its variety of uses. Although it has “tea” in the name, you should not attempt to drink it, as it is toxic when ingested orally. Nonetheless, it is a very useful oil to have at home.
In the following paragraphs, you will learn different uses of the tea tree oil that you probably don’t know existed.
Having a sore throat can be very disturbing. It could prevent you from focusing or concentrating on what you are doing now. Not only can you use tea tree oil to clear up your sore throat but you can also prevent it from happening if you apply tea tree oil early. It can help you reduce the inflammation of the mucous membrane, which if left unattended can worsen your sore throat.
- Just add a drop of tea tree oil to a glass of water, swirl it, and make a gargle with it.
- If you do this every morning, it will prevent a sore throat from happening or reduce the pain substantially.
- Toothbrush cleaner
Toothbrushes and containers are often breeding grounds for bacteria. This is no surprise because bacteria usually congregate in a moist area. It may look strange, but bacteria can make your toothbrush and containers a hotspot if you don’t maintain proper hygiene. If you have a large family to look after, you can be sure the situation will be much worse. Fortunately, you can use tea tree oil to clean all toothbrush and containers occasionally.
- Bring up a bottle of your tea tree oil and add 10 drops into a bottle of water.
- Swirl the bottle and rinse your toothbrush and containers in the bottle of water.
- Allow them to dry before packing them up.
- Minor cuts
If you have a minor cut or abrasion, you can apply several drops of essential oils to the affected area. If you have sensitive skin, dilute the tea tree oil with a tablespoonful of ordinary oil such as coconut oil. In addition, if you need to use plaster on your wound, apply some drops of tea tree oil to the cotton – which should go on the wound first – before placing a plaster on the wound. It helps to clean up the area and ward off infections.
- Air Freshener
Tea tree oil can be used as a freshener and is often healthier than shop bought fresheners.
- Dip a cotton ball into a bottle of tea tree oil and lock it up in a container.
- When a gross odour occurs in your house – whether it is from cooking or other items – bring out the cotton ball and place it in a central area in the house.
- The beautiful scent from the essential oil will counteract the bad odour.
Tea tree oil is a natural allergy remedy. If you an allergy sufferer or want to help someone who is, you can use tea tree oil. Apply it to reflex points in the body or the chest and allow it to dry.
Arthritis is very painful and can often render sufferers inflexible. To reduce the effects of arthritis, add 2 ounces of carrier oil to 15 drops of essential oil and apply it to affected areas thrice daily. This should serve as an effective treatment for arthritis.
- Hand sanitizer
You can make your own custom hand sanitizer with a few drops of tea tree oil. It is inexpensive and you don’t have to worry about what brand of hand sanitizer to buy or what price you need to buy one.
- Apply on Fungus
When you have fungus, you could be facing psychological and physical discomfort. There are many options to treat this condition and tea tree oil is one of them.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to coconut oil or water.
- Keep it in a container, free from direct sunlight.
- Apply to the affected area once in the morning and before going to bed at night.
You can use this essential oil as acne-fighting oil for your facial acne. However, you may need to dilute with jojoba or coconut oil because it can be very potent when used for the face, which is a sensitive area.
- Athlete’s Foot
Nobody wants to have athlete’s foot. And if you are suffering from one, you can try this oil before going out to purchase medication.
- Apply it to the affected area 3 times daily.
- Do this for at least a week, even after the symptom has disappeared.
Dandruff can be caused by an irritated skin or Malassezia (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dandruff/basics/con-20023690).
- Add the oil to your shampoo and apply it to your hair.
- Leave it for a few minutes to allow the oil to work its wonders.
- Sore Muscles
If you have back problems or tension headaches, using essential oil in your bath can be an effective treatment. Because of the anti-inflammatory properties, adding some drops of tea tree oil to your bath can help loosen and relax sore muscles.
- Bad Breath
Tea tree oil can be effective against bad breath. It can be used as an alternative to other mouthwashes because it can help kill bacteria and germs that are the root cause of bad breath.
- Add one drop of oil to a warm cup of water and gargle with it for 2 minutes.
If you smell mildew in the early morning hours in your household, it could mean that your laundry has stayed in the washer overnight instead of the dryer. To disinfect your laundry before rewashing, add a few drops of the oil to your detergent.
- Diaper Rash
If your baby is suffering from mild diaper rash, adding a few drops of tea tree oil to coconut oil can make an effective diaper rash ointment. It should only be applied to babies above 6 months.
If you have pets or children in your household, you may want to use the help of tea tree oil. Ants, lice, and cockroaches hate this essential oil, so adding a few drops at the doorway can act as a deterrent to these pests.
If your skin is sensitive, dilute the tea tree oil with a carrier oil and apply it to the affected area 1-2 times daily. You can also use this in your bath to help with other areas of the body.
- Clean and apply a few drops of tea tree oil to the problem area.
- Gum Disease
- Mix a drop of peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and pure water and swish around your mouth, 2-3 times a day.
- Make sure not to swallow the blend, as tea tree oil is toxic when ingested.
- Ingrown Hairs
This can be very annoying but you can counter it by adding a few drops of tea tree oil to the affected area every few hours until the infection goes away.
- Mosquito Bite
- Just add some few drops of tea tree oil to the affected and leave it for a few minutes.